Fire Department FAQs


 Do you accept unused medication or sharps?

We do not accept any medications or sharps (needles) at any of our stations.
The Norton Shores Police Department, at 4814 Henry Street, has a drop box just inside their door for medication drop off.

Sharps, in an appropriate container, can be turned into (call 1st to confirm):

Benson's Drug SavMor #17
961 Spring Street, Muskegon, MI 49442

Hackley Professional Pharmacy
1675 Leahy Street, Suite 111, Muskegon, MI 49442

 Is backyard burning allowed?

Yes, only for recreational fires. No brush, leaves, garbage, pallets, fencing, or building materials may be placed in the fire.

You can ONLY burn campfire wood.

  • A recreational fire must be more than 25 feet from any combustible substance
  • A portable fire pit must be more than 15 feet from any combustible substance
  • All fires: the pile size should be less than 3 feet with a flame no higher than 2 feet.
  • All fires: must have an extinguishing agent readily available (hose and/or sand)

(combustible substance examples: fencing, a deck, or a building.

If an illegal burn is occurring contact 911 and inform the dispatcher that this is a non-emergency call.

- See the right side of the page for more information -

 Do you provide child car seats checks/inspections?

We do not, however, there is a local organization that provides this service, Safe Kids West Michigan. 

Safe Kids West Michigan works to prevent unintentional childhood injury, the number one cause of death for children in the United States. Safe Kids West Michigan is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations dedicated to prevent­ing unintentional injury. Safe Kids West Michigan was founded in 2001 and is led by Trinity Health.

Give them a call at 231-672-4910, or click the links below for more information.

Safe Kids General Information

To Schedule An Appointment


 How do I dispose of my old fire extinguishers or propane tanks?

Please call 231-799-6809 to obtain information on proper disposal.

 Can you help fill my pool?

No, we do not fill pools. However, our Water and Sewer Division can. Contact them directly for the current cost at 231-799-6804.

 What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is lighter than air. It is produced by any fuel burning appliance, vehicle, wood stove or fireplace. It is called the "Silent Killer" because it can replace the oxygen in our lungs. Only a carbon monoxide detector can alert you to the presence of this gas in your home.

 If our carbon monoxide detector sounds, will the Fire Department respond?

Please call 9-1-1 to have us come out and check your CO levels in your home.

 When and where do I need to place smoke detectors in my home?

The placement of smoke detectors is regulated under the Michigan Building code. Areas for placement include sleeping  rooms, adjoining corridors, kitchens, dining, living, mechanical and storage areas. For further information on code requirements, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 231-799-6809.

 Why do you send a fire engine when I called for an ambulance?

Fire Departments operate in Muskegon County as part of the medical chain of life. As first responders, they are often closer to the scene of a medical emergency than the local transport ambulance service. Rapid response and early treatment are critical in many cases to the survivability of a patient. In addition to providing early care, firefighters can reduce the time on scene by ambulance paramedics by readying the patient for transport before the arrival of the ambulance. On occasions when the patient is in critical condition, firefighters will assist the paramedic with patient care during transport to the hospital.

 Does the City have an Emergency Management Plan for such acts as natural or man-made disasters?

The Fire Chief serves as the Emergency Manager for the City and is responsible for the development and updating of the City's emergency plan. The City's emergency plan conforms with the Federally mandated NIMS requirement for command and control of emergency incidents. The plan is also compatible with the Muskegon County emergency plan.

 What is a fire lane used for?

Fire lanes are established under the City's adopted fire code. They are designated to provide room for emergency vehicles to park and operate from during emergency incidents or when conducting inspections. Non-emergency vehicles are prohibited from parking, standing or waiting within an established fire lane. Vehicle found in fire lanes may be ticketed and/or towed.