City Council, Boards & Commission FAQs


 How long are the terms of the Mayor and Council members?

The Mayor and Council members are elected to four-year terms.

 When do Council meetings take place?

Council meetings are held the first and third Tuesday of every month at 5:30 PM. Work sessions are held the fourth Tuesday of every month at 5:30 PM with the exception of August and December when there is typically no work session held.

 What are the fees for Norton Cemetery?

Most questions concerning cemetery costs are addressed at the City's web site under "Norton Shores Cemetery  Fee Schedule".

 How do I run for City Council?

The City Council consists of the Mayor, who is the presiding officer, and eight Council members, four elected at large and two elected from each of the two wards of the city.  City elections are held in odd numbered years.  Candidates must submit nominating petitions signed by registered electors in the city equal to not less than 1% nor more than 4% of the votes cast for the office of Secretary of State at the last regular State-wide election.  Petitions must be filed with the City Clerk no more than 45 days and not less than 30 days preceding a primary election.  Primary elections are only held if there are candidates equal to more than twice the number of persons to be elected to each office.

 Where are the City Council meetings held?

Council meetings are held at the Norton Shores Branch Library, 705 Seminole Road.  Work sessions are held at the Municipal Building, 4814 Henry Street.

 If I receive Public hearing Notice, am I obligated to attend a public hearing?

A public hearing is an opportunity given to surrounding property owners to provide input and comments on any given development. It is not mandatory to attend.

 Do the City Council and Mayor receive compensation?

City Charter provides an annual salary of $600 for Council members and $2400 for the Mayor.  This amount has not changed since the Charter was adopted in 1968.

 How can I contact my Council member?

Visit the Mayor and City Council section. 

 How do I get an item placed on the Council agenda?

Contact the City Administrator's Office at (231) 798-4391.