Norton Shores Parks & Recreation

Visit the Parks and Recreation Website for current information.


 Are permits required to use Lake Harbor Park or Ross Park for picnics?

A permit is not required for picnics at Lake Harbor Park.  The picnic shelter can be used, free of charge, on a first-come, first-served basis.  A permit is required for picnics at Ross Park if there will be more than 50 people attending.  Fees for the picnic permit vary based on the size of the group and residency.  The picnic shelter is available to be reserved for time blocks of 9 am - 2:30 pm or 3:30 pm - 9 pm.  The fee for either time block is $50. For information regarding availability of the picnic shelter, please call the Norton Shores Parks & Recreation office at 231-799-6802.  Permits can be obtained at the Parks & Recreation office at Norton Shores City Hall.

 How can I find information about Hunters' Safety Classes?

Hunters' Safety Classes are run by the Norton Shores Police Department.  Information regarding dates and times can be found on the Police Department page of this website.

 Who runs the local youth sport organizations?

In addition to the Recreation programs offered by the City of Norton Shores, there are a number of organizations who run various sports programs.  Mona Shores Community Services offers a variety of sports programs and clinics, including ballet, cheerleading, basketball, gymnastics, ice skating, tennis, wrestling, football, softball, volleyball, golf, and t-ball.  Information regarding these activities can be found by calling the Community Services office at 231-780-4748 or at the Mona Shores school website.  Boys baseball leagues are run by both Roosevelt Park Athletics and the Hile Athletic Association.   The Hile Athletic Association also offers girls softball leagues.  Sailor Soccer offers both spring and fall soccer leagues.

 How can I reserve a softball field at Ross Park?

Softball fields at Ross Park are available for use on weekends by reservation.  The fee is $15 for a 2-hour block of time.  For information regarding availability, please call the Norton Shores Parks & Recreation Department at 231-799-6802.  Reservations may be made at the Parks & Recreation office at Norton Shores City Hall.

 What Recreation Programs does the City of Norton Shores offer?

The City of Norton Shores offers a Youth Hockey league (K-12th Grade, sign-ups in early September, season runs through February), Little Cheers & Pom-Pons classes (Spring classes begin mid-February, Fall classes begin mid-October), and Adult Slowpitch leagues at Ross Park (Team sign-ups are in March for Summer leagues, and in late July for Fall leagues). Call 231-799-6802 for further information on fees and registration.

 What do I need to do to have a special event in the city or in a park?

Arrangements for special events in one of the City parks must be made with the Parks & Recreation Department.  Call 231-799-6802 or stop by the Parks & Recreation office at Norton Shores City Hall for details.  Depending on the type and size of the event, Park Use Permits and Public Assembly Permits may be required.

 I would like to file a complaint/concern/report concerning a park, how would I go about this?

Any concerns regarding the Parks & Recreation Department can be e-mailed to or mailed to the department office at 4814 Henry Street, Norton Shores, MI  49441.

 How can I find information about Boaters' Safety Classes?

Information about Boaters' Safety Classes can be obtained from the Sheriff's Department/Marine Division at 231-724-6351.

 When is the Norton Shores Arts & Drafts Festival?

The Norton Shores Arts & Drafts Festival is held each year on the 3rd Saturday in August in Ross Park.